The first job was to lay part of the new stock of rails on to these sleepers, up to the bridge.
Steve dragged the first lengths off the wagon. We had 4 lengths, or 8 rails to lay up to the Childswickham Road bridge.
The laying in team made great strides forward, and was soon on the fourth new panel just in front of the bridge.
We had a particularly large gang today, assisted by some junior visitors, so that at one point we were 20 strong or so. Sounds like a record for Saturday.
Here we go, on to the bridge itself even.
In the background is the newly prepared trackbed for the unloading area, and the sleepers for it stacked on the left.
John on the left takes breather on the steel bridge itself. The steel was deliciously cold, and there was a tiny bit of shade.
In between times we ran out of cutting fluid for the drilling team. We use a concentrate (yellow can) which is then watered down in the green can. It is pumped through the cutting head of the rail drill to lubricate it.
The Cotswolds feature in the background - that's the beauty of our line!
But we didn't stop there - we carried right on, now using the sleepers in the stack you saw earlier. We didn't have the Telehandler today (not much point) so Steve brought the sleepers on his moveable forks and we laid them roughly, using the rust line from the historical rail line we can see in the dirt.
After lunch, we're back on laying track. The next 26 sleepers have been laid out, so Steve went to fetch another rail, which you can see being laid in here.
At this point we are now within the confines of Broadway station, which you can glimpse between the trees in the distance. There was a ground frame controlling the sidings on the right, just where our audience is still watching us.
One of the last jobs was to get some fresh ballast to put under the wooden sleepers on the bridge.
Steve scooped some out of the dumper and dropped it in, raising thick clouds of dust. It was then packed by Nigel, until the track was safe to use by the supply train.
This is the view of the new unloading point on the Broadway side of the bridge.
The sleeper stack has been used up.
Rail from Laverton waits to be used at Broadway north.
On this site we will be able to unload future sleeper wagons, and run them through Broadway to the north end by Telehandler.
The rest of the new rail will be stored for a while now. It is destined for the rest of the Broadway embankment, but can't be laid until the embankment has been released by the soil nailing contractor. In the meantime we will make a start on Broadway north and work back. A buffer stop is being sorted from Winchcombe, and will be taken up shortly.
On heritage chimneys
As readers will know, our friends at the SVR are building a heritage extension to Bridgnorth station. They have consulted Historic England for guidance on their project, and the advice given was, inter alia, was that ''new build elements, and the improvements to existing buildings.... must be evidence based, and of demonstrable high quality.''
The SVR also set up a Conservation and Heritage Committee, whose remit is to oversee all aspects of conservation and heritage, both in terms of proposals for new work, and also have a look at the existing environment and see if there are any ways in which it can be improved.
At Broadway we are very lucky with the rebuild of our heritage station, as we not only have photographs taken during its demolition, but sister station Toddington is nearby and can easily be consulted.
This is one of the demolition photographs. It shows how the canopy end rested on the bottom two footbridge columns, and also that the 21m station building had two large double chimneys, and one small one on the end for the stationmaster.
Our new, longer 37m station at Broadway will have two chimney stacks.
The double Toddington stack looks like this.
The stack built at Broadway is a single, with a short form crown on top.
A second, dummy chimney stack is still due to be built.