The day started merrily with Steve, always a happy bunny. We set out to 'tweak' the 220 odd yards of track laid these last two Saturdays.
This picture shows the sort of issue the track had. Big 'dinks' this way and that.
At first Steve tried to push the track over with his back acter, but it wouldn't budge. With the Pan 9 base plates on this section, there is very little movement possible. Even the little shoves we gave it caused several clips to ping out. Plan B was the front bucket, and this worked in the end.
This stretch already looks better, doesn't it? The JCB and big bucket is a crude tool though for this job. It's something along the lines of 'a bit more, a bit more, a bit more, TOO MUCH !!!'
We had a jolly tea with the Broadway gang - there seems to have been a remarkable improvement in morale these last few days - and a small gang was working on two station sites this morning.
As well as that, electrical contractors were putting in cabling ducts (on the right here) while earlier visits from the plumbers resulted in these central heating runs, and on the left, as gas pipe. Well, the yellow sticker with 'GAS' on it is a bit of a give away.
|Not evidence based|
Work was going on with the two chimney stacks. Here are 'before' and 'after' shots, with work going on on the right hand picture to make the stack look more authentic. The blue bricks mistakenly put on top have been removed, and replaced with the red and a more authentic shape. Work in progess still.
The erection of the second stack has also started. This one will be of similar size, but built in the correct style straight away. Red bricks for the next courses are stacked on the lower right ready for use.
Here Bob has just reached the plinth header row, where the stack narrows by half a brick all round.
This second stack is a dummy and will be infilled. Underneath is just a store room.
Along the forecourt side the wall plate was being added. This timber sits on the corbelling, supports the lower end of the corrugated iron sheets, and also carries the guttering along here.
This end view shows you a demonstration length of zinc flashing, which will protect the wall plate from water ingress. It looks very neat.
The woodwork along the length of purlin on this side has been removed again, and will be replaced with more heavy duty timber, cut to an angle that reflects the slope of the corrugated iron that will rest on it (17 degrees, now that you ask).