Following a question on the last blog post, and an invitation from a canopy construction team member, here is an update on the replica GWR canopy for Broadway that is being constructed at Toddington by members of the loco department.
Having drilled 6 times each of the 28 new hardwood sleeeprs for the two bridges, PWay gang member Neil went on to screw down the chair screws with the nut runner.
This two stroke motorised 'spanner' looks light enough, and you'd think that all you have to do is put it on the bolt and hold it in place. But it turns out to get heavier as the job progresses, and the torque reaction addresses muscles that didn't have to do a lot when in you were in your day job.
Neil and your blogger took it in turns, to give each other a rest. Then Steve came along with a bigger model still - it turns out we had been issued with the 'junior' one - and tightened the chairs up further still. Ah.
At the end of the day then a visit to the loco shed at Toddington, where an authentic replica of the original Broadway canopy is being constructed. It really is impressive, and a lot of thought has gone into the complicated joints and angles, where several pieces come together in the same place.
The main pieces being constructed are the trusses, purlins and fascia boards, plus the arched ridge purlins. Next to that are numerous small brackets and plates that support and allow the larger items to join together.
It's probably useful if you look at this picture of the Toddington canopy, which is exactly the same, albeit that the building at Broadway is longer.
There are 7 trusses to be made in total, and so far we have made 3 of them. They have been painted in primer and this one is back outside the workshop for additional plates to be fitted to the ends so that the fascia boards can be attached to them. On top is a rafter which has been fully riveted, except for the ends which are being fettled for a perfect fit.
Inside the painting marquee in the car park are the other two trusses.
They have been painted in primer, although like the one outside further work such as riveting and the fitting of the end plates still needs to be done.
In the middle is a fully riveted purlin, while on the right is the painting area for the spearhead fencing sections being manufactured at Broadway. These are taken to Toddington for painting, and then returned to Broadway ready for installation.
Behind the huge suspended riveter is this pile of fascia boards, all cut to size, assembled and already riveted.
The arched ridge purlins were going to be made in-house, but as the canopy construction is a few months behind schedule, it has been decided to accept an offer from our steel supplier to have them made off site.
The assembly of the canopy structure has been delayed by a couple of factors, the principal ones being the closure of the workshop for a period for a complete rewire, and problems with space in the loco shed while the floor was being concreted. We have addressed the delay with additional volunteer labour, and even a board director was sighted helping to paint the steelwork. So we are all mucking in.
CAD drawings have been given to our steel supplier for the manufacture of the arched ridge purlins, and a site visit is intended in a few days to check on progress there. Once the ridge purlins are delivered to Toddington, a test stretch of canopy will be assembled in the car park. This will involve three trusses and two of the ridge purlins, i.e. a trial run with two bays.
You are now fully informed! (but the extension is not yet fully fundend, so if you can help, please do)