As we sized up the job Foremarke Hall hissed past in a vast cloud of steam.
Only 13 of us today, a small but perfectly formed gang. We managed to split into two halves, one half working at each end.
Having laid out the rails last week, we started to screw them down on to the sleepers, but needed to drill the holes first.
We did the straight, through road first, as that is the easiest to line up properly.
Once the holes had been drilled and the chairscrews hammered in, we got the big TB2 machine to screw them down. The 'animal' is not man enough for this job as the Jarrah sleepers are very hard.
Some of us are stronger than others, but everyone contributes.
Here is a pile of chair screws, each one having been gingerly dipped in the grease.
We noticed that afterwards the volunteer in question had scratched first one ear, then the other. The first ear had a lot of black grease on it as a result, the other ear a bit less...
At 12.30 we repaired back to the nearby mess coach. It's really handy when it is parked so close to the job.
Time to have a cup of tea and consult the Formula 1 race results.
Mrs. B didn't bake a sponge cake for us this week, but to our delight a large Panetone emerged from Nigel's bag.
This cake is very airy, so you can have lots of slices of it..... lots and lots...
After lunch, a brief site discussion about where we go next.
Nigel is explaining to Stevie that one group will continue to secure the through road, while a second, smaller group will help him lift in the last remaining rails.
Then we went with Stevie to get the next length of rail from the pile beside the track.
Chris wrapped the chain around the end and then Stevie dragged it out of the undergrowth.
This straight or stock rail was destined for the Malvern side of the headshunt.
Things got a tad complicated then, as we had to start from this end, which needed to be level with the other rail end, hidden behind the green box. Once that was in place, we worked back towards the far end, where there was a gap. A gap filled with an offcut needs to be at least 15ft long, so we cut a bit off the long rail, to make the last bit fit the minimum length. Got that?
After cutting the long rail to size, we also had to cut the short one (the minimum 15ft one) to size, which Chris is doing here.
The place where it is due to go is right in front of it.
This turnout is now really taking shape, it looks just about finished here (but it wasn't of course).
But there's a tell-tale whisp of steam at the rear...
The new 8 coach long trains take ages to rumble past, they are so long.
The whole turnout is now at the same height as the running line.
Some notes from Thursday and Friday.
Thursday was the second day of running with volunteers and larger shareholders, and for your blogger it was an opportunity to go lineside and take a few shots along the new extension. It felt amazing how trains were now running here. It seems not so long ago that you could walk from Broadway to Laverton through the trees, along a narrow footpath in the middle.
Four more have been bought by CRC.