Two reports in one today - preparing the trackbed for the unloading point on the embankment by the Childswickham bridge, and a day with the canopy gang at Broadway.
The trackbed needs to be dug out, and the heavy undergrowth around the fence removed. Then Terram, and 8 inches of fresh ballast on top.
Here is Steve, carefully scraping away the brambles and young tree growth from along the fence.
In the foreground a trackbed surface of dirty, dusty, spent ballast. That has to come out too.
After a while, Steve has removed some 25 yards and we drop in the Terram we had.
We were a bit hamstrung that day, because a roll of the stuff we had lying by Broadway station bridge has vanished. Where has it gone?
Ballasting had to stop until we got a new roll 24 hours later. It's not very commonly available.
Rumblings down in the car park too. An enormous 3 axle dumper was delivered, looks like a 20 tonner.
In the foreground the soil nails. They still need tightening up, after the cement has cured.
The big dumper was paired with a large 360 and together they set about levelling the Childswickham end of the car park. The ex Mythe rubble was loaded up and transported a few yards away to fill voids.
Our newly built access ramp unfortunately had to be removed again, as it took up too much space below. We think we can modify the existing one near station road bridge, to avoid the turnout that will be located at its current top end.
Now for a day riveting, see what's new at Broadway.
A concrete lorry and pump came today to pour the bases of the footbridge step supports.
The other side is not being done yet.
The towers are approx 8ft closer to the building than in GWR times. The footbridge is located as far away from the building as the site permitted.
The canopy team did their best to work around the chimney that was built. Only one rivet was achieved, and that with a special air drill with a 90 degree head.
We've done all the easy rivets now, so progress slowed as we had to manoeuvre further up and into the structure, sometimes using a special jig such as here in order to allow the mag drill a firm footing. We slowly riveted our way north, until we came to the end where the canopy overhang to the footbridge should continue.
These brackets are green in this overall view.
Down below, two 'C' section modern steel profiles have been bought to support a small canopy over the front door.
As the 'piece de la resistance' we installed the two authentic works plates: E. Finch, 1903. These are exact copies of an original lent by a supporter, who recovered it from Broadway during the demolition in November 1963. No, one is not upside down, we'll leave that charming peculiarity to Toddington.
This achievement deserves a reward...
Now a last look at Steve, who carried on today, armed with a new roll of Terram.
Tomorrow: we lay track here! We are on our way.