Too cold was it, for you? Now it's too hot! Twenty two degrees on Friday, and an unrelenting sun for those working up on the scaffolding.
The day started well for the station, as there were two buses outside and our 'Auntie Wainwright' bric-a-brac shop did good business. Anything you buy there goes straight into making Broadway even better. People get off the coach, wait for the train, and browse. Or get a cup of tea and a bun.
Only Neal spent much time on the scaffolding today, the other two members of the canopy gang were down by the containers scratching their heads over the manufacture of the dagger boards.
There are an awful lot of them to make....
|'I'll do you a little drawing, it's like this: '|
Neal's job today was to mount the final board along the roof of the steps. He did that too, and now they are all on.
He's also been giving some thought on how to bend the corrugated iron to allow for the break in the downhill slopes caused by the intermediate landing. We're not quite there yet though.
Here he is sawing the last timber to size, to fit the other two leading up.
A small improvement to the feel of the room was noted with the change in (most of) the switches and sockets to a 'Bakelite' version.
This is much more authentic than the refrigerator white we had before.
The finish is a tricky choice of course, because originally these rooms would have been lit by oil lamps, and we can't reproduce that. So Bakelite switches is the nearest thing, in terms of the period chosen.
How about this:
What do you think? It does strike you how our new building is indeed 50% longer, due to all the extra toilets we had to accommodate. Also, our V boards are smaller, but that is dictated by the originals we found, the size of the doors over which they go, and the texts which they carry. All these things have changed.
Of course the P2 building still has to be built. We are thinking about that.
It would be nice to set this photograph up more carefully, and get people in similar period dress, and that bicycle up against the fence.
Saturday out along the line in the Cotswolds
Another beautiful day.
This lovely row of houses is one of the reasons people take our trains and get off at our new station.
But yeah, we did have some work to do.
Last week, on a commercial train 'just testing the track' using our free travel and some refreshments, we noticed quite a dip where we dug out a wet bed earlier in the year. You can see the sleepers have been pumping with the whiteness on top. This needs packing; the ballast we put in has consolidated.
Bert Ferrule had some speed restriction signs made up, and using one of the two new barrows we have had, he ferried out a concrete block and one of the two new signs.
The barrows are brilliant, after the feeble ones we were given to build the wall at CRC. These are sturdy, and have puncture proof tyres, a godsend with all this bramble about.
At first we have to determine the scale of the problem, and put some pan jacks under.
It's done with en eyeball, our tamper is only a rented one, and it's not here.
David and Tim start packing the voids under the lifted sleepers with Kango hammers, powered by the gennie in the shade of the Landie.
In the other direction came the DMU. Today being Easter Saturday we had our busy red timetable - two steamers and a DMU.
Even the DMU had quite a few people in it.
Here it's Dave and Bert Ferrule.
Here are the three wise monkeys. The fourth monkey (there are in fact 4 monkeys in some variants of the story) took the picture.
Finally it's lunch time. It was a bit later today, as we wanted to finish the packing job at Southam, didn't want to have to come back again after lunch just for a short spell.
Cake this time was provided by Diana, and it was huge! It had a special cream filling and had to be kept in the fridge while we worked.
Steve has the task of cutting it into slices.
Dave, back from a track inspection walk that lasted all morning, came to the rescue.
Dave is well known for dealing with left over cake, so our hopes were high.
Two slices ought to do the trick.
We understand that it found favour. Only one (large) slice left now, so we really need one or two extra volunteers.
In the afternoon we set out along the line to deal with 3 broken fishplates that Dave had reported. Dave certainly has a knack for spotting these, but he also has one of the oldest sections to deal with, with quite a few dipped joints in it.
As we wait for another train to arrive, we have a chat about how to deal with the broken plate.
We're at Gotherington Skew bridge here, with Three Arches bridge in the background.
Steve is holding the bits, as Bert Ferrule prepares to fit the new plate.
Some of us took a trip on the last train south, just to 'test the track' from the comfort of the buffet coach, while others went straight home, to wash off the dust and deal with the sunburn.
It was a great day though. Spring is here at last.