Instead, we tidied up the yard to meet requests from C&W and the Usk project team.
C&W wanted access to the back siding behind the mess coach, so we fired up the Telehandler, moved the TB2s and trolleys out of the way, and shovelled back this pile of ballast.
While the Telehandler was out, why not clear up some stuff that had been unloaded, but not yet tidied away?
That went for a pile of fishplates here, and this interesting length of Brunel bridge rail, which will come in useful for authentic signage.
Those Telehandler forks also came in useful for removing this ancient sleeper left in the 4 foot of a siding.
It's ballast now - it comes from lightweight MOD type flatbottomed track, no good for future use with us.
Nigel tickled it out of its bed with the tips of the forks.
Did you know D2182 used to stand in a childrens' playground in Leamington? What a tale to rescue that, and make it run again. It's been a faithful runner over the years, first with the PWay relaying team and more recently as the yard shunter for C&W.
Trains kept on running today, and they still looked reasonably well filled too. Foremarke Hall and 2807 were out today.
Here we're fitting a better lifting fishplate, to give a smoother ride over the new joint.
We didn't have a jack with us, but never mind, some well fed gangers on bars were just as good.
Hurry up though, we're killing ourselves on these bars here.
The plucky little gang of fishplate greasers went out along the line.
We've now done Winchcombe to the viaduct, and the other way Winchcombe to the Gretton end of the tunnel. Depending on which bit we are doing, access may or may not be difficult. This time it was difficult, as the starting point was the southern mouth of the tunnel, virtually impossible to reach except by a long detour by road.
You can see how much bigger the steam engines are, when you look at it here, in the mouth of the tunnel at the Winchcombe end. We had all the lights on, and even tooted before we entered it.
We then got swallowed by the whale.
Soon we were unbolting, greasing, bolting up again, here at the level of a famous pub. Once, in the early days, we planned to have a halt here, to allow passengers to get off and go straight to the Royal Oak pub.
It's up there, in the background. Try it, you get a lovely view of the passing trains from the garden.
How disillusioning this must have been when they first laid the track back in the 1980s - that straight looks endless.
And so it is today for the little team greasing the fishplates.
As is our wont, we have our picnic lunch at the 'apogee' as it were, i.e. the point farthest from where we start, the place where we turn round and do the other side. Here we are at the distant signal, sitting on the trolley. It's a dry day, but humid. At least it's not raining, out here in the wilds.
We were joined for half the day by John, who told one or two jokes. Or three. Or four.
This is a very remote area, and very pleasant it is to be out here. To the left is a large cleared area, which we think carried a navvy camp during the construction of the line. It also gave the name to the nearest (very small) road: Working Lane.
Echos from the past.
Monday we're recovering some scrap rail from Stanton. That should put some pennies in the bank.
Earlier at Broadway
A trip to Broadway to fit the wooden feet to the new platform benches was frustrated by a complete blockage of the station drive.
We returned later in the day to ascertain the cause.
The modesty screen at the end of the building has been fitted. That's great, it was being assembled in the cafe kitchen and we need the space there.
The 4 new benches we are assembling for Broadway are in 1904 style, but somehow an interloper has arrived that is from the 1940s.
It has the later period shirt button seat ends.
The pile of timber by the garage workshop.
Work is going great guns here, with a record of 4 working days this week.
The steel cutting is pretty much finished, so now we are at the pre-assembly stage, with various different bits being bolted or welded on.
|Cleats receiving a weld around 3 sides|
|Cleats fitted to stringers|
Some of the cleats were manufactured from angle salvaged from the construction of the canopy. This had primer on it, which was removed with an angle grinder.
The bolt holes are for the rivets, but bolts will be used in the first instance to hold them together.
An interesting arrival during the day was a pallet full of gusset plates.
These were cut to size by laser in a factory in Redditch.
Good to know there is a local supplier, the UK can still make stuff.
We were impressed by the neatness of the cuts. They were so fine that you could put two separated plates right back together, and you could hardly tell where the cut had been made.
Here's the same gusset plate in its original location, in this instance on the HIA steps.
This gusset plate is for the top of the intermediate stair supports. They have already been made up and are standing to the left of the picture.
In this picture of the original Broadway bridge you can see the same trapezoid shape, and where it will go.
With several holidays coming up now, we won't be working 4 days a week for a couple of weeks now though. At our age we no longer have school age children, so we take our hols when the little brats go back.